Monday, May 9, 2011

The First Word in Blueberries is Blue...

At exactly 3:14 PM the next day, my life sucked more than usual. I'm up after a really good long nap and i get up to get some food to eat. I start microwaving my dumplings, filling my sh**** apartment with the awesome smell of food when MY FREAKING POWER GOES OUT!!!!!!!!!! yeah, I'm freaking pissed! I pay my god damn electric bill to keep this freaking place running and the freaking power goes out anyway! What the hell?!?!?!?!?! No, I LIVE IN HELL!!!! Yeah I'm pissed more than usual, Ive had a bad week, I'm coughing up a storm because of that stupid god damn carnival, i got yelled at by A PIRATE, and I had the worst dream in the history of dreams about me apologizing to my parents for being a bad child!
I picked up my microwave and chuck it across the room, watching it smash against my wall and dumpling juice squirt on the floor. I had had enough. I grabbed my coat and stormed outside. Screw my pajama pants with skulls on them that are too short for public, screw my little black slippers, screw my black tank top that's all wrinkly and screw my black hair half up in a pony tail half down since i messed it up sleeping, SCREW IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!
Suddenly, as I marched out onto the street, a scent filled my nose that stopped me in my tracks. I couldn't tell what it was at first. It was delicious, but in a bitter way, like a smell that made you happy and want to punch someone at the same time. As I slowly breathed it in it came to me what it was that I smelled. Blueberry pie... Blueberry pie...blueberry pie... why did this smell calm me down so suddenly? i felt no residual hatred of my power outage, all i wanted was to stand there in my pajamas and smell this delicious memory. Wait, memory... what did this remind me of...? When had blueberry pies meant anything to me besides a delicious desert that i could no longer afford? As i continued to breathe in the smell it hit me. I was thrust back to my childhood, before I had rebelled. I was in the kitchen, looking up at my mom. She was dressed in a pink apron, stirring something in a bowl. As the memory played I saw myself helping her bake and laughing with her as we made a mess. She kissed the top of my head as she slid the pie into the oven, then again as she slid it out and the familiar scent of blueberry pie wafted into my nose.
Oh my god... I ran to the source of the smell, barely keeping my slippers on as i sprinted to the pie shop. I shoved a man out of the way that I knew to be Charles Stevens, he hated everyone as much as i did, but not right now, not at this glorious moment... I ran to the counter and when I saw the blueberry pies i burst into tears right there and sank to my knees, sobbing in front of the entire neighborhood who were just there for pies, and nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment