Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My New Best Friend Death, Or So I Hope

"Hey, can I please get a coffee?Black?" I asked the man behind the counter.
It was freezing outside, unbearably freezing. The promised snow from the weatherman had instantly turned to ice, making the roads a disgusting grey safety hazard. The man at the counter pretended to not hear me and began cleaning something.
"Um, hello?" I asked, the place was not that busy, mostly people were inside for the smell and warmth.
The man continued to ignore me.
"Coffee, black. Do you speak English?" I asked, now annoyed.
Still nothing, he had moved onto replacing the sugar in a crusty green container. Now I had gotten the message, he was purposely ignoring me. What a jerk. I felt like knocking him upside the head with a mug. Someone else got the hint too and cut in front of me. Some blond that reminded me of my mother ordered and he instantly got her what she wanted. I fumed with anger. As soon as she left I told the guy,
"Listen jack a** if you want me out of your hair get me my friggin coffee. I wont leave until you get it for me, and I think that is the last thing you want."
I never saw a man make coffee faster. When he handed it to me I paid and stormed out of the place. I was so mad I almost slipped on the ice covering the sidewalk. I growled and headed for home. As I walked I took a sip of the coffee, hoping it would warm me up. Speed had not made up for quality, it tasted like crap. I drank as much as I could to warm me up before I threw the rest away, not wanting to have to taste it. Suddenly, just as I reached the building I spotted a black crow over my head squack at me. A woman near me screamed and dashed away. I smiled and my heart went a flutter. I knew what a black crow meant, death. I wondered who was going to die. Hopefully my mother, or the coffee guy. I laughed happily and watched it fly over to me and land on my shoulder.
"And who are you going to kill today?" I asked the bird, but as I asked I recognized the look in the birds eyes. This was no ordinary crow, it belonged to the woman I had seen on the rooftop. "You're not going to kill anyone..." I sighed, my heart sinking.
The bird squacked at me.
"What?" I asked. "You're not killing me, nu-uh I'm outliving my mother."
It just screetched again. I wasn't going to die.... But i swatted the bird away and kept on walking. I knew better than to mess with death. Death and I were going to be great friends if he/she would ever fulfil my order that I had placed a while ago. The waiting list was endless...

No comments:

Post a Comment